The Hamilton Beach 51101B Personal Blender is a single-serve blender that is suitable for fruit smoothies, shakes and icy drinks. It has a travel lid and fits in most car drink holders. It is recommended as a way to quickly whip-up a healthy drink with fruit, milk or yogurt for people who would otherwise just drink coffee or tea for breakfast.
The blending jar is also the glass for drinking or serving, and the travel lid works as a sipping lid. The jar twists and locks into place on the base, and has a plastic rim on the bottom, so it can stand upright without the base. The Hamilton Beach 51101B Personal Blender features are:
• Stainless steel blades in the jar that will blend frozen or fresh fruit and small pieces of ice
• One-touch operation with an on/pulse button
• The lid and jar is dishwasher safe
• The cord wraps around the base
• The blender jar is food-safe with no bisphenol A (BPA)
• It has measuring lines on the front of the jar
• The motor is powerful and reliable with 175-watts
• It is very convenient for small living spaces and on-the-go portability
The Hamilton Beach 51101B Personal Blender was not designed to blend all foods. According to the manual, hard foods such as meat, cheese and crackers should not be tried. Also, it will not reduce large pieces of ice. It will make slush if the ice is broken down into smaller pieces. It is also not intended to mash potatoes, mix bread dough, grind meat, whip egg whites or as a fruit or vegetable juicer. However, if it is used according to its intended design, it works wonders.
It will grind a maximum of 12 tablespoons of coffee beans at one time. If the blades stop during blending, it should be turned off and, only then, the lid removed and the mixture pushed towards the blades with a rubber spatula. It is not intended for hot foods or liquids, and it is also not intended as a storage container for any liquid or food. The blending jar should be held in place by the lid while it is blending.
The drive clutch is hard rubber instead of plastic like some blenders. This gives a slower start when it is switched on, which will help lengthen the life of the blender. When the blades start fast, they hit the ice pieces and this impacts the drive, gradually wearing it out sooner.
For cleaning, the base should be disconnected from the electrical outlet and wiped with a damp cloth or a mild, non-abrasive cleaner. It should not be immersed in water. The drinking lid and jar can be immersed in water.
The specifications are:
• One year parts warranty
• One year labor warranty
• 11 9/10 inches high
• 4 ¼ inches wide
• 5 ¼ inches deep
• 2.5 pounds weight
• 8 ounce capacity
The Hamilton Beach 51101B Personal Blender is mainly marketed to people who are health conscious as well as very busy. It offers a fast, convenient and efficient way to blend fruit and other ingredients for a meal in a glass that takes about five minutes to make and can be taken in the car or on the bus or train. It is also extremely compact and easy to store. Some users mention a burning oil odor after blending for a few minutes.
This is avoided by blending in short spurts and waiting a few seconds in between.
The basic safety precautions for the Hamilton Beach 51101B Personal Blender are:
• Careful supervision when using around children
• Do not touch blades or other moveable parts
• Do not use if the cord, blades or blender jar are broken or cracked
• Do not use outdoors
• Do not let the cord touch hot surfaces
• Do not put in a heated oven
• Only use a rubber spatula to move the contents and only when the blender is off
• Never put sharp instruments or hands in the blender when it is on
With a Hamilton Beach 51101B Personal Blender, users can make a different smoothie for each guest. They no longer need to make a huge amount of the same flavor. The blending jar is easy to wash out for the next combination of fruits and flavors.